Saturday, August 27, 2011

August?

Once upon a time I moved to the UDHP farm, and then I blinked and it was the last week of August.


Sorry for the distinct lack of blogging since the move. I only have internet access in the Seedbank office, which makes it tricky--I don't like to blog while I should be working, and I don't like to be at the office when I don't have to be. Now that I've kind of gotten my feet under me and things have settled into something resembling a routine, I'm going to try to get back to more regular updates. 


For now, though...pictures!



Some of these were taken by Dr. Emily Langan, who came to visit me a couple weeks ago, some by another guest who was at UHDP last week, and some are mine. Enjoy!

I live in a gorgeous jungle.

My house--the Baan Farang

I helped build this house my first and second weeks here, out of mud and rice husks

Part of the seed storage room...the only place on the farm with air conditioning.

work work work. cleaning seeds for storage.


One of several small markets close to the farm. Grocery shopping is much more of an adventure when you don't know what half the things are...and the lady selling them only speaks Palaung.

I can't even tell you how many times I've eaten these--yes, frogs--in the last month. One of the staff wives even showed me how to cook them...so roommates, watch out. Someday if I miss this place too much, I might catch some frogs and make you eat namprik gohp. 

 This is what dinner usually looks like. Everyone brings something, we put it all on the table and eat a little of everything with TONS of rice. I don't always know what everything is...but it's almost always delicious. I'm so going to miss this food when I leave.

My supervisor Wah and I after dinner one night. She is fantastic and takes good care of me :) 


What if I told you I adopted a kitten with giant ears? Meet Samson, one of many many cats running around this farm. 


 Speaking of cats...this tukay is bigger than Samson, and likes to hang out in houses. I'm a little afraid it's going to eat him...or me, in my sleep.


Last but not least, my personal favorite Thailand photo: a thunderstorm rolling in over a neighbor's rice paddy. The mountains you see are Shan State, in Burma.

4 comments:

  1. 1. BEAUTIFUL jungle. My goodness.

    2. Love that you built a house (build me one! We have rice husks in Oregon...). Love that you eat frogs (I will eat them if you cook them for me). Love that you adopted a cat.

    3. Kind of hate you that you like the food on HNGR, not gonna lie.

    4. Your face is beautiful (post more pics of it puhleese!)

    5. I LOVE the thunderstorm photo.

    6. I love you so much. SO SO good to hear your voice last night even if it was for a second :-) hopefully internet will be our friend tonight!!!!

    praying for you like a crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing this view into your current world. Samson is very cute. Is he coming home with you?? The thunderstorm photo is beautiful. But Burma seems so close! :) Love & Prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Frogs, I'm ready.

    I ate chicken foot the other day. but that oddly didn't seem weird to me. I'm thinking frogs will go down good...

    love the photo. you could do my job here. I'm imagining rain like crazy... we don't have any.

    thank you for showing that you exist in Thailand. Loved reading this and we will talk soon.

    love you kimbop

    ReplyDelete