Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Language and Listening

On my high school transcript, it says I have four years of foreign language. I took German (not a great choice, as far as hngr placement was concerned). German isn't a foreign language.

Thai is a foreign. language.

Sure, German had words I didn't know. And grammar was a little tricky, after the first year or two. But really...I mean, English is a Germanic language. Thai doesn't even use letters. The sentence structure is all different and a lot of things...well they really don't translate, not directly, anyway.

Thai is tonal, meaning that the same word can mean completely different things, depending on how it's said. Because of this, to a large extent, how you say something is what you're saying. As frustrating as that is to my Anglo mouth and ears, I'm learning to appreciate it. There's a lot to learn from the discipline of listening so closely, of speaking so carefully. Discipline, for starters. 

In the most recent hngr newsletter, Ryan wrote that "...most Americans do not know how to listen. The research shows that most Americans are externally motivated listeners, which means that we expect the speaker to motivate our listening by capturing and holding our attention.  We thus place greater emphasis on speaking than on listening.  This is perhaps why so much of our politics, theology and even family life are determined by loud, extroverted speakers who develop a cult of personality." That's absolutely true. As someone who is not the loudest most extroverted personality, I've prided myself on being an exception to that rule. I hear what people say, and I try to be sensitive about how they say it, to pick up on what they're communicating through that, as well. And I'm a pretty good listener. Or at least that's what I thought. 

Every day, Khru Nong, my Thai tutor, asks me what color shirt I'm wearing. And every time I take a deep breath, concentrate as hard as I can, and answer, "I'm wearing a blue tiger." 

Every time.

No matter how many times she repeats the two words, no matter how many times I repeat them after her, hoping that somehow by luck or chance or the mercy of a loving God I will hit upon the mysterious, inaudible difference between them--every time.

It's funny. We laugh about it. And Khru Nong assures me that I'll get it eventually. But at the same time, I'm developing an awe for the ears of the people who speak this language so effortlessly. And I'm so grateful and really stunned by the patience of all the people who will talk to me, despite my shortcomings and many, many mistakes. They take listening--which, frankly, I thought was my game--to a whole new level.

When I'm speaking Thai with someone, it's of course very slow and very broken. But when I listen to Thai speakers talk among themselves, as I'm trying to do more and more, I'm noticing that--though it's much smoother than my Thai is--it's not usually rushed. You can't rush some things in Thai; if you speak faster you change what you're saying. I hear the back-and-forth of words: 'calm down, farang. don't be in such a hurry all the time. we certainly aren't.'

6 comments:

  1. I will attest that you are an amazing listener.

    I love you so much. Praying for you daily.

    Look for a long email soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I've gotta know: when you're speaking Thai, do you still wave your hands around?

    Praying for you. And your dad's spending Friday night at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, sean, yes--and it's definitely necessary, since I'm pretty much unintelligible by word alone. I have to name things and point to them and then maybe I can make myself understood, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always appreciated what a good listener you are. God has prepared you so well for such a time as this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should just get a t-shirt with a picture of a blue tiger on it, and then you'll be right. Instant win.

    Oh Kymbo, everyone who has ever walked into anywhere with some sort of crisis (real or imaginary) at 1 in the morning knows that you are the best listener. I love love love you and am praying for you! Also, I really am enjoying the frequency of the updates. It makes you feel closer even though YOU ARE SO FAR AWAY.

    Also, you left the airport in Bangkok. I retract my previous paragraph of praise because you clearly don't listen to me or respect my advice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (jokes don't translate as well as they should over the interwebz. I mean, I know you got it, but just to be clear I was making yoke. Give my love to the gecko, Whathisname. You should really talk about him more. What color is he? What does he eat? What's his name {I mostly care about this one}? If you picked our name do we get a prize?)

    ReplyDelete